Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 06:01 PM

bjs0131 is on a distinguished road

bjs0131 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn_85 View Post
People don't want a full, unlocked android tablet experience in a vehicle headunit. It's too cumbersome and isn't user friendly. It's like when tablets came out the android community wanted to create a full desktop PC experience on the tablet. That didn't work out well for android tablets which is why Android OS is basically dead on tablets. Whereas Apple focused more on the mobile aspect of it and essential owns the tablet market because of ease of use.

This is the same thing. When I'm driving I don't want a tablet experience nor even a phone experience on my headunit. It needs to be very basic and simple to avoid distractions. Companies like Alpine, Pioneer, Sony focus on simplicity rather than running a rooted android OS. The more things it tries to do the less optimized and the slower the unit runs. I think there's a very small minority that wants or needs the capability of a rooted android OS in a car.
Ok - I personally do want the full unlocked tablet, because I don't like my options limited. It's not that complicated, I want pandora, I hit the pandora button, music starts playing. But I get what you are saying, the SETUP of such units can be complicated and some people don't want to deal with the hassle. Keep in mind many headunits (even OEM) are running Android anyway, it's just a launcher that is already setup for you and keeps your options simple. You can recreate the exact same thing with Agama or Car Launcher Pro on a T9. But I digress...

Does it play flac, does it has a Burr Brown 24 bit DAC? dunno, don't care. lossless audio has no place in non-competitive car audio IMO, the noise floor is just way too high. I stream nearly everything these days from pandora, spotify or amazon with quality set to very-high and I'm happy. YMMV.
bjs0131 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote