Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 10:59 AM

Sawdog is on a distinguished road

Sawdog is on a distinguished road
Front End Damage- Thoughts?

Not the ideal start to the day here in icy PA for my beloved '99 4Runner. Slick bridge, slid into concrete barrier, likely around 30 mph. Fishtailed and collided around a 60 degree angle. Damage all in the front end. No air bags deployed, car still runs and drives, limped it home under 30 mph with no noticeable vibration or issues other than the heat no longer blowing warm, turn signals etc.

Cosmetic damage isn't terrible, but we all know what lies beneath is the real bummer. No scratches to hood or fenders, gaps are no longer square. However, the frame rails are bent on both sides between the front of the frame and the front wheels. I can find no damage to the frame from about 5" in front of the wheels on back.

My hope obviously is that it can be fixed, but I'm not overly optimistic with the frame damage that the insurance company won't total it. Realistically, it doesn't take much to total a 21 year old vehicle. '99 4Runners certainly don't have the value to the insurance company that they do to those of us who love them. I have full coverage with Geico.

The worst part, shes a bit of a unicorn. '99 SR5 all stock, factory 5 speed, e-locker, factory tan leather interior in great shape, 160k miles. Has some rust, but is not rotting out anywhere- frame is in good shape, worst of it is the rear differential housing. We on this forum care about this stuff, not sure the insurance companies do.

To make matters worse, I've got 4 brand new Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws sitting on oem 5 star wheels that i was going to put on this afternoon to replace the absolutely awful Goodyear SRA's that were on it, for this very reason. Tires still have more than 50% tread, just bad tires for anything other than bone dry. 3 hours too late.

Pictures below, wanted to get your thoughts. I know its next to impossible to determine much via pictures alone and she'll head to the body shop on Wednesday. I'll keep my fingers crossed that shes repairable and I'm only out my $250 deductible and a rental car, but just for conversation lets assume that's not going to be the case.

For anyone who's had a similar encounter..
I'm thinking there is a good chance they total it due to frame damage, but could be wrong. What do we think?

What would you expect insurance values to be (KBB ~$3k range)? What would you expect as a buy back price?

Anyone have damage like this fixed? Idea on price? Though I do most of my own maintenance and repairs, i won't be tackling this.

How much would you pay to buy it back?

Realistic value if I were to buy back and then sell as a whole? ..not likely as I'd probably keep it.

^Frame bend drivers side, shot from inside of drivers wheel well

^Frame bend passenger side, shot from engine bay looking down

^Passenger door/fender

^Drivers door/fender

Thanks for any input and suggestions
Sawdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote