Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 06:19 PM

BlakeA will become famous soon enough

BlakeA will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb rob View Post
mine does it, exactly as described on this thread.

2015 trail edition (with rear locker). 90,000km.

between 60 and 80kmph, if I am applying the throttle lightly (as I pretty much always am between 60 and 80), it quietly howls/whines. The moment I let off the gas, it goes away.

I've been living with it since last summer. I can't tell if I only noticed it when I got rid of some other noises, or it just started then. It drives really well. My gas mileage isn't great, but it's not horrible.

I just assumed it was the pinion bearing preload washer.... but some of you guys have had the rear and replaced with the same noise afterward...?
Per my above post, new differential did not fix the problem. So, either the replacement differentials suffer from the same problem, or...the whining is not coming from the differential.
But since the whining ceases when you let of the throttle, that signals (at least to me) some kind of “lash” in the drivetrain SOMEWHERE.
Any mechanics on here want to chime in on the cause?
BlakeA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote