Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 06:43 PM

Clemintine is on a distinguished road

Clemintine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwerks View Post
Welcome to the forum. Replace the lower ball joints if they haven't been replaced before.

Suspension lift on IFS does not help clear tires. Body lifts, larger bumpstops (limiting travel), messing with the caster to push the tires forward or cutting whatever the tire hits will clear tires on IFS.

The first number on a metric sized tire is the width in mm. The second number is the ratio of sidewall height to width. And obviously the third number is wheel size in inches.

For a 265/70/16 tire, the width is 265 mm (10.43 inches). The sidewall height is 70% of the width so 265 mm x .7 = 185.5 mm (7.3 inches). The overall diameter is then sidewall height times 2 plus wheel diameter. Obviously do this in inches so (7.3 inches x 2) + 16 inches = 30.6 inches diameter. It's common just to round up (31") on these metric tires.

Increasing backspacing by using spacers or buying aftermarket wheels will make tire rub worse but can be necessary depending on tire size. Wider tires will rub more as well. As a general rule for the common 16" tire sizes:
- 265/75/16 (~32" tire) shouldn't rub on stock wheels, but still might hit the back of the wheel well.
- 285/75/16 (~33" tire) will probably require trimming of the wheel well liner and cutting/hammering the pinch weld. The sidewall of the tire may or may not clear the UCA on stock wheels.
- 315/75/16 (~35" tire) will require tubbing the firewall.

If you want zero to minimal work for tire clearance go with 265/75/16 and no spacers. If you want bigger tires and/or wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels just be prepared for more work.

That's great advice. I really appreciate this! I guess at this point (the beginning) of my venture, I'll stick with what works with minimal work, since I don't have a garage...grrrrr.
Are there specific rims to work with 265/75/16, or is that just a standard fit for most. I also have some nice rims on my 91 (which I'm selling) that I bought, but unsure if the bolt pattern is the same for 91 and 98.
Thanks