Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 04:28 AM

124runner is on a distinguished road

124runner is on a distinguished road
Update with some good and bad news:

Good: After my earlier post about how to fish the wires through the passenger side of the hatch I gave it "one more go" and was able to successfully run the wires with the connectors and all. Word of caution, I sliced my thumb pretty good when it met the sheet metal edge when I was pulling...dumb on my behalf. Once that side was fished down everything else was pretty straight forward and I was able to finish the wiring. So it was successful. Door opened from keyfob, button on dash, and the hatch handle. Cool...right? Yes, until the rain came...

Bad: First time we had a rainy day it just stopped working. So I took the rear panel off to check it...seemed dry, so I just unplugged the power, waited, and reconnected. Started working again. Reinstalled the panel and worked great until the next rain. I'm in SoCal, so rain isn't really an issue, except I installed it right when we had rain on and off for a couple weeks. So I went back and reset it and again it was functioning.

Here's where it goes real bad. The morning after a rainy night, I walk out to the hatch doing a Tesla Model X dance routine and beeping. It would go all the way up, then half way down and back up again. Over and over and over. I don't know how long it was doing it, but the neighbors probably had a laugh. In order to stop it, I had to hold the hatch (the motors are very strong) and unplug the power from the control box...luckily I had left the rear panel off because I had to reset it so often. At this point I just left it unplugged and let my anger fester for a few weeks.

It was after this incident I started to have problems with the hatch fully latching, and it even began to rub against the body at the hinge edge of the door. Something had happened. The panel gaps were way off...with the door shut, I could see the struts from the side panel gaps. At this point, I replaced everything back to stock and ended up taking it to a body shop this week to see if they could re-align the hatch. They discovered the sheet metal where the hinges attach had pulled up. They had to hammer the hinge area down in order to get the door to sit back where it should be.

I think this all happened when the door was "dancing" as it was doing it so rapidly I think it was jarring the hinges causing the sheet metal to "pull".

So yay! This was all a mess. At the very least that control box should absolutly be mounted inside the car somewhere. It would even be easier to fish the wires into the car than down the hatch sides. Yes the system seemed like a quality setup, but not an OEM solution. I'm frustrated and out 500 bucks plus 250 for the body shop to whack everything back to where it should be. When it worked, it was cool. When it went haywire...not so much. Ill be emailing them.
124runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote