View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 06:07 PM

weaves is on a distinguished road

weaves is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3BP View Post
Update: Turned out to be the valve cover gasket. Dealer replaced both and broke six bolts in the process. Also claimed timing cover gasket was leaking. In typical dealer fashion, the total was just shy of $1,300.00.....
$1,300 for valve cover gaskets?

I'm not too surprised they broke several bolts since you're from the Northeast. They're just tiny M6 bolts which run all the way through the cylinder heads so the bottom of the bolts get exposed to road salt and water. I broke a couple when I did mine and I have a rust-free Southern vehicle.

And what's this timing cover gasket that you speak of? Only the 4.0L V6 has a timing (chain) cover that can leak oil. The V8 uses plastic timing belt guards to keep debris from entering the timing belt area.
weaves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote