View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 06:04 PM

Space King is a jewel in the rough Space King is a jewel in the rough Space King is a jewel in the rough

Space King is a jewel in the rough Space King is a jewel in the rough Space King is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
While I see the possible advantage of this mod, has anyone had an airbag activation (including the driver's side airbag) following this mod?

While it is easy to say "the manufacturer cheaped out again", the fact remains is that we do not know why it isn't on the 5th generation.

The point here is that this mod may prevent the correct deployment of the airbag system. The design of the windshield, A pillars, dashboard and door panels are all part of the equation. Airbags are also designed to reposition the occupant. Perhaps that handle was removed because people's heads were whacking it during certain accidents.
Yes, there is a risk of the driver's head colliding with the grab handle under certain conditions.

Before doing this mod on my own rig, I reviewed a lot of crash test footage. I determined that it would not interfere with correct airbag deployment. However, during a head on small-overlap collision to the driver's side, the driver's head does tend to traverse towards the a-pillar region. Which I suspect is the reason why Toyota chose not to put a grab handle that area.

Unfortunately, if I ever get in such a wreck, whacking my head on the grab handle will probably not be my biggest concern... the highest risk of injury will occur when the front tire rotates into the passenger compartment and crushes both of my legs.

In any event, it's a risk I'm comfortable with.