View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselchessy View Post
Never seen 23mpg with a v6 3rd gen. I get 17 to 18 pretty well every tank on all 3 I’ve owned.

Your rig doesn’t ping if you get into the throttle below 1400 rpm in all gears but first?

I’ve got to run first up to 3k before shifting, drops to 1500 in second, unless I’m going real easy.
If I shift at 2500 rpm then it will ping unless I baby second up till 1400rpm or so.

I’ve owned 2 of these v6 5spd and per memory they both acted this way, though this one may be worse.

Acts a bit like the timing is too advanced.
Real peppy in all gears. Makes the auto tranny rigs feel like slugs.
How many manual trans vehicles have you owned? I haven't owned one yet that doesn't want to be above at least 1800 rpm when accelerating. Stop lugging that thing around.

The auto will downshift if you get on the gas and will keep RPMs above 2k while accelerating. Even cruising, it is hard to get the ECU to shift down to 1500 rpm unless you are coasting. You should be doing the same with the 5-speed. Stop treating it like a diesel engine (assuming that's where you get your user name?). Gas engines need RPMs to work well - keep it above 1800 RPMs unless you are coasting to a stop (and yes, that means going above 3k rpm in 1st fairly regularly!).

Also, the knock sensor is ignored below something like 3k rpm. The engine still shouldn't be pinging down there though (well, without a supercharger). You might have carbon'd up cylinders or something. Try running 89 or 91 octane and see if the pinging goes away, then figure out how to solve the issue.

-Charlie
'16 Honda Odyssey Elite
Previous: '88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, '03 WRX wagon, '08 Outback XT
phattyduck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote