View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 07:41 PM

Muzzle of Bees will become famous soon enough

Muzzle of Bees will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondigs View Post
Did my first oil change on the 4Runner last night. And throughout the whole process was wanting to go burn the dealership to the ground. First issue, my skid plate was missing a 12mm bolt. The second issue... the plastic oil filter canister would NOT come off! I was shaking trying to put all the muscle I had into it. Since it was my first oil change with the new plastic canister, I started second guessing myself and did some research to make sure I was on the right track. Yup, I was using the really nice motiv (spelling?) 64mm wrench and lefty loosey. It would not budge. Then, Unfortunately I had to get a breaker bar. And yup like breaker bars do, it broke one of the plastic tabs off! At this point, I was pretty pissed. Ended up, folding a piece of paper and putting it between the socket and canister and thankfully it came off. I was able to change the filter and reused the canister. However, I’ll need to replace it in the future.

Moral of the story: service techs (some... maybe not all) do not care about your vehicle like you do. All they know is use the impact wrench on everything and good enough will get by.
I had a similar experience with the plastic canister on my 4Runner too after taking it in for the free service. I broke a tab because it was so tight which put hole in the canister. It would not come off. I called the dealership to have them tow it and replace the canister. I asked if they hired a gorilla to do that work and have not been back for service since.