Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 09:20 PM

UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about

UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about
Time for another quick write up as I finished up a relatively small mod.

As far as I'm concerned this is the best way to handle losing your signals on the front bumper.

What I'm doing is installing switchback LED lights into the corner lamps.

Here's what I used:

Parts:
3157 Switchback LED bulbs (mine are amber/amber, many color combos available.)
3157 pigtail
Clear depo corner lights (not 100% necessary)
Electronic EP35 flasher relay to cure hyperflash

Tools/supplies:
10MM socket w/6-8" extension
Wire stripper/crimper
Torch
Utility knife
Black RTV silicone
Butt connectors x6 (pink/red)
Electrical tape

This mod is super simple to accomplish. Using the knife you'll grab your corner light and open up the hole just enough to get the larger switchback bulb to fit into the hole snugly. This basically means removing the locking tabs. You will get bits of plastic inside the light, if you have compressed air a quick shot through the vent tube shoots it all back out of the bulb hole. Once you've got all of the plastic out, get the bulbs fully seated and run a bead of RTV around the back to seal them.

There are multiple ways to accomplish the wiring, to me the quickest and simplest is to order new pigtails and splice it in inside the fender well. You'll note by the broken tab that the sockets I bought didn't quite fit past the core support, so get a different style. It's as simple as 3 wires. Hot for the marker (green in that harness) ground from the marker (white in marker harness) and hot from the signal (also green but in the signal harness. I spliced using heat shrink butt connections and wrapped everything with tape.

At this point you're done and ready to install them, then just replace your flasher (you'll want to make sure that you get one that says LED on it, I forgot that step this time around and had to reorder the right one.) Simply unbolt the lower dash trim by your knees in the driver's seat (x4 10mm bolts), the flasher is on the back side of the interior fusebox, it's easiest to also unbolt it to get to the flasher, it just pulls out and plugs in, direct swap.

That's it all done. This mod including the new corners and pigtails is a more expensive way to do it, but is still around 75$ all said and done. Not terrible at all. I chose the Amber/amber because it doesn't look out of place next to halogen lights like a white or colored LED would.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

The "shitmobile" 500$ 3RZ Auto 4Runner - (Saved from the Scrapyard: Resurrecting a 500$ 3rd Gen

02 Tacoma Double Cab, mid-travel, locked, armored, supercharged and riced. (Longbed and 5 speed in the works)
UnderFire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote