Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 09:58 PM

gfxcruncher has a spectacular aura about gfxcruncher has a spectacular aura about gfxcruncher has a spectacular aura about

gfxcruncher has a spectacular aura about gfxcruncher has a spectacular aura about gfxcruncher has a spectacular aura about
Storage System / Sleeping Platform

Reposting since this got wiped out too, thank goodness I had prewritten and saved it locally. Here we go...

After using the prototype storage system for a while, and looking at a bunch of them on here, I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted in a system.
  • Use the 60 split of the rear seat for the sleeping platform
  • Incorporate a fridge slide
  • make it easy to remove
  • Maximize drawer space
  • Be able to fire up food and coffee with minimal setup
Started by making a deck plate to build everything off of, it mounts by using the factory cargo tie down points (I may add a few more attachment points at a later date). The idea came from how Goose Gear does their system.
After scribing the cargo area profile, transferred it to some 3/4 baltic birch ply, test fit to make sure it was good to go.

IMG_2737

Removed the deck plate and started laying out the frame. For the frame I went with a mix of 3/4 tubing and some 3/16 x 1 1/4 flat stock. The 3/16 flat stock is for the vertical supports, it’s plenty strong and keeps the width to a minimum, giving some extra space for drawer width. Once everything was all set up I attached the frame to the deck plate with tee nuts so it could be removed if the need ever arrises.

IMG_2736

IMG_2741

Welding 3/16 thick tabs flush to the bottom of the 3/4 tube worked out perfectly to support the 1/2 ply insets.

IMG_2896

The fridge slide isn’t anything too special, the tray tilts down and has some stops to keep it from hitting the bumper cover. It mounts to the 3/4 tube with 1/4”-20 rivet nuts so I can remove it when not on a trip.

IMG_2892

IMG_2940

The dead space behind the wheel well on the right side has a ARB single compressor and power inverter. This might be my favorite part of the project, it’s nice not having to dig around for the portable compressor and popping the hood to air up. The left side has a power distribution bar.

IMG_2887

IMG_2877

Installing the seat platform is pretty quick. Remove the lower seat cushion (two 14mm bolts) and bolt the platform in place. There’s two tee nuts on the deck plate and two rivet nut inserts on the 3/4 tube.

Untitled

Untitled

At various points there are footman loops welded to the frame and I made some straps using flat hooks. I wished that I could use some of that track stuff, but the 1/2 ply isn’t thick enough, this works good though.

IMG_2891

The left drawer is where I stuff most of my tools and spares, the right drawer has my stove and cooking stuff.

IMG_2962

IMG_2961

For finishing, the ply is painted with some gray porch floor paint and the frame is sprayed with some black satin enamel spray paint.

IMG_2960

There's a few more progress shots in this Flickr album, I wasn't planning on doing a build thread, so they're kinda random and not in any sort of order...
cargo build | Flickr

Last edited by gfxcruncher; 08-04-2020 at 07:15 PM.
gfxcruncher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote