Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Ucan2 is on a distinguished road

Ucan2 is on a distinguished road
Question Trans Case & Towing

Since my question about towing with a T-case, I spoke to a service manager and read a couple articles reviewing the Part time 4WD drive on the 5th Gen TRD Off-Road. What is clear is the T-Case with manual lever shifted into neutral disengages the front wheel drive completely. Also it disengages T-case from the output shaft. Thereby isolating the drive axle aft to the Rear Differential and rear wheels. With out the rear diff being locked you have the needed sleep between rear tires while cornering etc.

Its my understanding that 5th Gen Toyota transmissions require a pump to circulate oil while running oiling moving parts. Without power no oiling, which is no dough why Toyo doesn't recommend flat towing. The transfer case would appear to depend on oil slinging for lubrication. Which would occur if rear wheels on the ground are turning the drive train up to the Transfer Case.

So in my infinite lack of wisdom, if front wheels of 4Runner are on a Dolly, Transmission is in Park with engine off, and Transfer case is in Neutral. You are basically free wheeling the rear drive train and oil T-case....just don't break something or I'm sure Toyota will not honer your warranty.

Any one care to tell me where my logic is faulty?
Ucan2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote