Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 09:16 AM

4runherpow is on a distinguished road

4runherpow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumfoord View Post
Was on a road trip with family and stopped for lunch, when got back in truck started it up felt a little rough. Pulled out of parking lot and could tell the power wasn't there and seemed to sputter, then stopped at a set of lights and engine light came on and could tell timing was off.

We continued to the beach we were heading to and when I pulled up to the gate it started to knock horribly, very scary sound.

When we left I chance it and seemed to drive better at speed, so on Highway was fine. The next day seemed ok, but timing would go off every so often. So had the code checked and mechanic pulled the suspect OCV, tested it and couldn't get it to fail. Cleaned it and put it back in and was fine for a couple days then came back with a vengeance, worse knock than before.

Had the timing chain checked for possibly stretching and was fine, replaced the OCV and all is well.

I feel for ya man, after a year of owning mine I had to replace the head gasket, was not happy about the expense but decided to commit to the vehicle. Been 6 years now and still happy with it, that was the only large expense I had but I won't lie, had plenty of other's that up to roughly 10 grand in total. Bought it believing the Toyota reliability hype but quickly realized that old is old no matter what make and shit will go wrong and I've just accepted that. Still cheaper than buying new.

Good luck man.
I appreciate the detailed story! Wow that was a lot of investigating but sounds like a positive outcome.

Do you have the v6 or v8 out of curiosity?

No check engine code yet. Maybe time to take her in... ughh
4runherpow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote