Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-06-2020, 04:00 PM

Mikey2020 is on a distinguished road

Mikey2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thennen View Post
Looking around, it seems that Jeep is the only manufacturer making a direct-ish competitor to the 4Runner. I personally think that most 4Runner owners wouldn't get a Jeep if a Runner didn't exist - they'd probably go tamer, like Explorer/Highlander. As most of us know, Jeep vehicles are plagued with quality problems. But other than these two, who makes a B-O-F SUV like the 4Runner these days? Chevy? Ford? Chrysler? Nissan? Honda doesn't even make a truck, nor Subaru. The last closest thing was the Pathfinder/Xterra, and Nissan bailed on those, turning the Pathfinder into a minivan. At least Toyota hasn't abandoned their unique vehicle.

From what I've seen, 4Runner sales slipped slightly in 2019 vs 2018, after ten consecutive years of increasing sales. 2018 was the highest sales year EVER for this truck. I would argue that number is the most compelling thing that keeps the 4Runner alive today with so few changes.

This may be one of the things Toyota has been waiting for, and may be part of the reason for the new trims - to take advantage of 4Runner manufacturing capacity in light of the sales slippage, while they gear up for the replacement.

Here's another thing I think they'll do: with the new Bronco line coming out, I believe they'll be watching very closely. How will people react to a second option? What will they like about it, or dislike? They'll watch how it sells, the demographics of the buyers, what people think of it. What quality problems are there? What's great about it? They'll buy a few and take them apart. And after a couple years (sorry), I believe we'll see the response.

So I believe competition from the Bronco will be a good thing. It'll force Toyota's hand a bit, and folks on this forum will hopefully get what they've been asking for.
All very good points. Let's hope competition breeds innovation.

The one thing I didn't consider when I bought my 4runner is the Toyota Land Cruiser. Kinda has everything I want, and the 5.7 v8. They are so crazy expensive though. But the cost of a new 4runner you are gonna get a 7-8 year old land cruiser with 60k miles on it. Doesn't seem worth it to me.