Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 10:12 PM

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough

Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough Decipher is a jewel in the rough
Winter Tires VS All Season AT's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistervague View Post
This times 10.

Your MT, AT or M+S type tires with 4WD will make you feel like a hero when accelerating or keeping momentum on snow or ice. However, your truck weighs 6,300 pounds and stopping on slippery snow or ice is going to be terrible without dedicated winter tires, which not only have deep treads, but also many more sipes and – mostly importantly – much more pliant rubber that doesn’t turn into a rock below 45 degrees.

It was all talk for me (and I was fine for several winters) until my 4Runner slid 30 feet on black ice down my own street while I was going no more than 2 mph in 4Lo – straight through a stop sign into oncoming traffic. Not a fun day, and I am sure it was 100% because the tires were not winter tires.

I have since replaced the Nitto Terra Grapplers with Blizzaks for the winter and the difference is very noticeable. Also, they look cool.

Lastly: regardless of what tires you run in the winter, drive extra slow because you are in a big SUV (momentum = mass x velocity).

Sums it up. If you live anywhere that has harsh conditions, winter tires are a must, but you must also know your area. I wouldn’t dream of living in the mountains of CO and not having winter tires. I live in lame Illinois where the land is as flat as the taxes are high, and even with good snows there isn’t much need for a winter tires on this vehicle. It’s simply the truth. Would it perform better? Heck yes. Is it necessary? No, especially when Mr. Attorney is calling his city to b-tch that there’s a 1/2” of snow on the road and no plows.

So all I’ll say is know your area and be responsible. Stopping is certainly where snow tires and yes, mountain peak snowflake rated tires show their worth. These trucks are so capable that any tire will look like a rockstar in 4wd...until you have to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 4Runner SR5
Decipher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote