View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 PM

lewiswilkinson is on a distinguished road

lewiswilkinson is on a distinguished road
New Member from Down under - 3rd Gen 1kz-te

Hi All,

Thought I would introduce myself.

I had a 2nd Gen 1kz-te for travelling australia with a 2" lift, 31" muddies, big roo bar, roof rack etc. Loved that truck but sold it when I moved to Sydney and didnt have any parking.

I've now moved to an apartment with parking so I picked up this nugget dirrrrrt cheap. It’s a 3rd Gen (’96) 1kz-te auto. Its done 350,000KM but the motor is clean and strong, and boosts well. Body is also really clean. It comes with a 2” lift and 33” muddies. It has the 4wd push button so I can run an open centre diff / AWD if needs be.

Got a few things to do, and a few questions to ask:

Switching from 2H-4H and back again – sometimes it goes in totally fine, and the green wheels will light up / turn off on the dash as they should. Sometimes it won’t go in fine and all four wheels plus orange diff light flash (going into 4H and into 2H). Same issue with going from 2H to 4HL also. Totally intermittent and I’d say works 30-40% of the time. Once its in, its fine. Sometimes driving back and forwards for 20-30 seconds or so will encourage it to go change to whatever setting I want, but it’s not guaranteed.

Previous owner had it for several years and said he only used 4WD two or three times during his ownership, so hopefully it will free up with use? I’m driving round in 4H (open centre diff) at the moment to try and get things moving again.

Is there anything obvious I should try / look for?

It’s had a 2” lift and the shocks and springs are only a couple of years old, but interestingly it seems to be sagging / lower over the front? Any ideas?

Unlocks fine from both front doors (central locking fine) but the key wont turn to the right to lock in either of the front doors. Common problem? Easy fix? I’ve tried both keys I got with it and they behave the same.

Other niggles:
Fan motor rattles and squeaks, but works fine
Drivers side front wheel bearing screams at 100kph+
Due an oil and filter change – for my own peace of mind
Tracking is a little off
Repaint front bumper
Fit some wider wheels

lewiswilkinson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote