Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 11:05 AM
Elite Member

Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute Jetboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundy View Post
Based on this, any reason to not get the long travel versions? I'm not looking at a ton of lift, just curious. Will likely go with the 2" coils after lo-pro / winch bumper, was concerned about pushing it to 3" as I'd like to try and not replace UCA's.
If you don't have aftermarket upper control arms you are likely to exceed the range of angle built into the stock upper control arm. So you could damage the upper control arm ball joint. I don't know the full extended length of these though so it's hard to say on whether they'd cause an issue or not.

Also FWIW - most other shocks that come in regular or extended length like Fox or King are actually all the same shock. The regular travel versions have a rubber bumper inside that limits the down travel by a little bit. So if you have them apart to rebuild you can remove that bumper to make them extended travel down the road. Maybe Mike can help with some details on the internals.

The internal reservoir is usually called and IFP or Internal Floating Piston in the other popular brands. It's a tried and true solution.

In my experience with Fox - the service interval is about 15,000 miles and the reason is to replace the spherical bearings. They don't last very long. I would much rather have rubber bushings like these. Every time I have to pull them out to replace the bushings I consider machining out the shock eyes to fit some sort of rubber instead. Rubber is simply better for this application. Otherwise if the build quality is similar - I'd expect the life of these type of shocks to be longer than the OEM due to better seals and better materials throughout. So 100k or more.
Jetboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote