Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 09:46 PM

Snypr18 is on a distinguished road

Snypr18 is on a distinguished road
Looking for 2nd gen buying advice

Hi everyone, I am looking around at a few 2nd gen T4Rs with the 3.0 V6, manual transmission, @ ~150,000 miles. I intend to use it as a daily driver and am not particularly concerned about the MPG.

I am no stranger to the platform as my brother has owned a 1994 since around 2002, still going strong at 250k. I have plenty of experience with it, and with working on it and other vehicles doing various repairs such as clutch replacements, timing belts, head gaskets, etc., so doing routine or preemptive maintenance doesnt worry me.

That being said, I am trying to get a feel for what sort of preemptive maintenance or upcoming maintenance I should expect on a 25 year old vehicle with 150k miles on the clock. For example:
  • Are there any rust-prone areas that need to be checked in detail? Any areas that are prone to rust that are especially difficult to repair? Anything specific on the frame, body, bumpers, interior, etc.
  • Any engine or drivetrain quirks to be aware of, any failure-prone areas of the 3.0 V6? For example, I have heard these motors have somewhat weak head gaskets.
  • Any specific areas of the suspension / steering that need to be checked for wear?
  • Are parts becoming difficult to source?
  • Anything else? What would you look out for if you were considering buying one?

Additionally, I would like to hear your thoughts on what a good condition 2nd gen is worth. I am having a hard time determining what a fair value is on a 2nd gen in good shape, since the market is kind of all over the place on various models in various conditions. KBB is telling me that the private party value of one in near perfect condition is around $3200, which seems low considering what I have seen them selling for. NADA Guides value tops out at $4500, by comparison. Clean ones with relatively high miles seem to go for $10,000+ on Bring a Trailer.

In any case, thanks for reading. Hoping to be a member of the club soon.

Last edited by Snypr18; 02-14-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Snypr18 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote