Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 PM

JMat will become famous soon enough

JMat will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahilc View Post
Random stupid idea but have you checked your catalic converter(s)?
Rap on it like you were pounding on table with a closed fist. If anything rattling in there you've got loose catalic material inside.
You'd think you'd already have a P0420 code but worth a quick check. Had a similar running issue on my '96. Great under throttle but want to stall out at idle.Cheers!
Thanks. I've been wondering about my converter a little, it has a lot of miles on it. I'll give that a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 View Post
With your milage I would do a compression check.
I would also buy two big bottles of Techron and spend the cash on shells or Sunoco premium and run that tank down to 1/8 before refilling.
With your milage it could be a failing or clogged injector. A cylinder or three low on compression.
Your long term fuel trim is normal. Mine range from -3 to +3. Idle is -3 ish for me. My Driving is 0 to 3 depending.
I'm pretty religious about my use of Techron but I do have an injector that's ticking... Been doing it for a couple years now. I think I'll pull some injectors from the junkyard, have them flow tested and put them in when I do the valve cover gaskets.
Compression checked out okay less than 50k miles ago, all were in the 150's to 160's and I live at 5000ft so the numbers are going to be a little low.

The thing that has me really perplexed is the fact that it goes from running real lean to real rich(at idle) once I get off the freeway and after a mile of driving it on the street but with my foot on the gas I wouldn't know there was an issue at all.

1997 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 4x4 with 247k miles-Project car

Last edited by JMat; 02-17-2020 at 08:50 PM.
JMat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote