Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 01:38 AM

blutarski is on a distinguished road

blutarski is on a distinguished road
Help - PCS malfunction after installation of lift & tires

Hi,

Curious if anyone has seen this issue and has been able to resolve. I've seen numerous postings on this, more so with Tacoma's and the root cause seemed to be due to the earlier faulty sensors or grill updates. Here's my situation - I installed the Toytech/Bilstein 3" lift with SPC control Arms. No issues with PCS after lift install and test ride. The following day I had new 285/70/17 tires installed on TRD Pro wheels and shop performed an alignment. After installation of tires and alignment the vehicle is displaying the Pre-Collision System Malfunction, warning light and slip indicator lights remain on.

I took the vehicle to the dealer and they initially pointed to the lift/tires and said all they can do is clear the code and turn off Safety Sense features. After a bit of pushing they did investigate further and try to resolve. Work order states they performed memory clear and zero point calibration, hard reset and attempted millimeter wave sensor adjustment but could not clear codes or condition. I feel they made a good attempt accept my responsibility in this by modifying the vehicle (at no charge). The part that's hard to accept is it seems others have performed the same if not more extreme lift/tire updates with no issue so trying to understand what is different in my situation as well as why the system can't be re-calibrated to the new height.

I also hit up Toytec to see if they have seen this issue and were aware of any fixes. Since there where no issues with just the lift I'm hesitant to blame the lift and tend to think it's related to tire size or alignment. It maybe that tire size was that the tipping point to push height outside of the parameters? Toytec suspected height was not the factor and if anything they've seen this when rake is affected, but given that fact that I didn't have this issue with the lift and stock wheels/tires I feel rake is not the culprit.

Appreciate any experience from folks on this site, either solutions or ideas to point me in the right direction. Lastly, I hope this doesn't turn into thread a bashing of Toyota for inclusion of these new high tech features. They are obviously frustrating me at this time but I must say I did enjoy the radar cruise control prior to this issue so just hope to get this resolved and not turn the discussion into a bashing of Toyota, as I know I've modified the vehicle and just trying to fix whatever it is I broke. I have an appointment with another dealer on Friday and will update in the event of resolution.

Thanks. Joe

Here's a pic of the results. Couldn't be happier with the look and ride is well improved with the tighter Toytec/Bilstein kit and no increase in road noise from the Falken tires.
Attached Images
Help - PCS malfunction after installation of lift & tires-4runner-copy-jpg 
blutarski is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote