Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 11:44 AM

hairpin is on a distinguished road

hairpin is on a distinguished road
Suspension setup for a N00b — expert opinions wanted

Hey all. I have a 02’ limited that is stock w/207k. Struts/shocks/coils are all original and I was told it’s time to replace them.

I use the truck for weekend driving around town, and the monthly trip to Tahoe through the snow. I will try off roading soon but it will only be 15-20% of what I use the car for.

Here’s what I’m looking for: I want a nice firm suspension that is controllable on the highway, something good in the snow, and something I could use as a beginner off roader. I also want 2” lift (nothing crazy).

I’m almost 100% sure I’m going to get Bilstein 5100’s all around. But I want to replace coils. I don’t want to spend much more for coils like OMEs etc. My budget is about $500 for parts and the Billy set is $384.

I’ve read a lot on this forum about coils etc. Some people say to get stock OEM 99’ 4runner coils.

(1) Can I order stock 99’ coils for front and back for my intended set-up with Billy 5100s.

(2) Where’s the cheapest place to get them? I don’t want MOOG. I want Toyota quality or equal.

(3) Are there any other easily changeable parts I should order for the car that I can have replaced where they’re doing the suspension?

(3a) I just had Toyota recall replace the front CV joints/boots.

(3b) Any other parts you would order and replace if you were in my position? Remember, I’m second owner and this car is still stock with 206k miles on it, so I imagine some rubber parts are worn.

When replying about the 99’ coils, if you could provide a link that would be super helpful.

Thank you!
Attached Images
-aa613507-ec00-46d3-8fdc-428d36b4dda6-jpg 

Last edited by hairpin; 03-02-2020 at 11:46 AM. Reason: image
hairpin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote