Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 09:11 PM

jmacqueen is on a distinguished road

jmacqueen is on a distinguished road
'96 4runner intermittantly dying

Figured I would post up and see if anyone can toss ideas of things to look at. I've had my 4runner since I bought it new in '96, I'm at about 200k miles now. Edit: It's '96 SR5 4x4, 5VZ-FE and Auto trans, all stock.

Problem is yesterday out of the blue I was leaving the house and the engine started cutting in and out going down the bumpy driveway, seemed electrical. After about 2 miles on smooth pavement it quit and wouldn't start. I noticed when it was cutting in and out the check engine light and the A/T temp light flashed on whenever it cut out and flashed back off when the engine picked back up again.

Towed it back home, put it in park, engine started up and ran fine so Shut it down and went to bed.. Tried again today and 2 miles from home it died again, wouldn't start, towed it back home again. This afternoon it starts intermittently, will idle for a random amount of time, then die. It started up several times, ran enough to get up to temp, but then went dead and just turns over fast but no start.

It is throwing no codes, and when I was on the side of the road my laptop OBDII reader lost connect to the ECU and couldn't connect to the ECU with the key on, so I thought maybe wiring or bad ECU, but now it connects up just fine, no codes, engine will spin over but will not start. Gonna try it again once it cools down and see if maybe it's temp related.

I have never had to dig deep in the systems on this truck, and don't have a service manual, it has been 100% reliable all these years with never a break down so I never needed to dig into it or buy a manual and have only had to replace brakes, batteries, ball joints and other wear items. I do also live in high dust environment of Texas dirt roads.

Any ideas? Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?

Last edited by jmacqueen; 03-05-2020 at 04:04 AM.
jmacqueen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote