View Single Post
Old 03-07-2020, 01:41 AM

Kirk D will become famous soon enough

Kirk D will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by det107 View Post
Interesting build!!

Could you share about the custom Chevy brake cylinder swap, thanks!!
Sure, so after the tundra brake upgrade I never felt that the improvement in braking was incredibly significant, and when I did the abs kill switch on mine and my friends 97 we both realized that it was very difficult to engage the ABS and neither of us could lock up any of the wheels with abs off. I was only on 265/75r16s, and that just didn't seem right. I chased the rear problem to oil impregnated shoes from previous leaking axle seals (led me to make my own press tools because I'm not paying someone to put the ring in the wrong place again) but the front still wasn't enough. I found this thread: Master Cylinder upgrade options and this write up: Brake Upgrade

The second write up has a handy chart of what worked and what didn't as well as some calculations. So I looked up replacement pistons for the tundra brakes, calculated the surface area they have, and solved backwards to find the best possible diameter master shooting for the 5.5-8.0 ratio in the writeup. I came up with 1-1/16' master. There was one available from Toyota but only briefly on a vehicle available in the Canadian market and would have required a swap to a 4 bolt booster. The chevy master is two bolt so I only had to oval out the holes with my die grinder. Setting the plunger depth was a bit of work but not terrible and the front and rear lines are opposite on the chevy. In case it didn't work I made my own adapter lines to go from the 9/16" and 1/2" flare on the chevy master to the M10 flare Toyota factory lines.

I did lose the low fluid indicator light but I check fluids pretty regularly anyway. I can now lock all 4 tires up with abs off.
Kirk D is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote