Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 06:00 PM

MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice

MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice MikeinNH67 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebirdguy View Post
that is not the norm by any means. i dont doubt it happened but there was something else at play there. maybe all the washing kept the inside wet & contributed to the rust? some 4runners are off roaded pretty hard & go swimming through deep mud puddles etc, no washing or oiling will protect against that kind of abuse. not saying your friend did that, but its not normal for these to rust that bad that fast... & i live in northern iowa with some of the worst weather & road salting in the country.

there are hundreds of thousands of 4th gen 4runners on the road in winter climates that dont have holes in the frame or need patching or are rusting that bad from the inside out that fast. mine is from this area with ~150k miles & while it did have some failing factory coating & heavy surface rust, the frame is still 99% solid & no signs of heavy scaling or pitting rust inside the frame.

my post was mainly to say there is definitely somethings that can be done to help with or greatly stop rust. but i also agree that some frames were neglected or had other outside things make them rust worse than the large majority of others.
I don't think his truck has ever been off road except for the occasional dirt road. He's not the type. He did do all he thought he could do to keep rust away. I don't know why some rust and some don't but obviously it happens often enough and going above and beyond doesn't always keep it away. Maybe it's the brine crap they put on the road here. Mine had to be patched in several places, it had the factory black goop on it but it's not as bad as some of the pics I see here.

03 4runner Limited
1GR-FE V6 w/199k miles
MikeinNH67 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote