Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 02:07 AM

stanleyoutdoors is on a distinguished road

stanleyoutdoors is on a distinguished road
FOLLOWUP:

I got the rack out without too much trouble. The driver side bolt with the V6 hits the AC compressor, so I jacked up the engine to raise it barely high enough to work it out. Better way would be to grind off the little bit of bolt sticking out thru the nut before removing nut.

I ordered some black bushings off Ebay and they looked NOTHING like the stockers. Fortunately the seller agreed to a refund even though the listing said no refunds.

My bigger problem was getting the old bushing out. It's really hard to get under a little piece of metal and grab them. I tried a pickle fork and just mangled one of the bushings and threw in the towel.

I live south of Denver so I called CVJ axles in North Denver. They said they could install their bushings for $125, so I dropped them off, got a beer at one of Denver's 400 (really, 400) breweries and went back. Their bushings look exactly like the OEM, even the oval hole. The mechanic said he pries back the metal part with a sharpened chisel them rams in a pickle fork mounted to an air hammer. Well worth the cash.

I then got new tires and an alignment. The wandering is 95% solved. I probably should have swapped out the tie rods while I was at it. I may swap one at a time. The toe is currently correct and the steering wheel is straight when driving straight (the proper term for this is "clear vision"), so I can theoretically, swap the tie rod on one side and adjust it until I get clear vision again, then repeat with the other side. But I'll probably wait a bit as other projects beckon.

Thanks to all who replied!
stanleyoutdoors is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote