View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 01:12 PM

TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light

TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light TonyB66 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceye View Post
I installed Air-Lift bags a few years ago. I totally agree that having the ability to haul weight (500#+) inside or pull a trailer with a 3500# load of wood, yet air down for a civil ride when empty is a beautiful thing.

I ordered kit #60743 and proceeded to self-install. The kit includes two 3" thick hockey pucks with a hole in the center for the air line to exit. The instructions show three different install options. The first two use the pucks in either the top or bottom position relative to the bags with the jounce stops absent or much shorter than the jounce stops that were on mine. The third option was cutting the jounce stops short (all four rings removed) and not using the pucks. I opted for the third option.

My 2000 has the 99 tall springs that I salvaged from my '96 (it had a recall spring upgrade earlier with the 99 tall springs and jounce stops) after being sideswiped by a texting teen. My ride height was 21" after installing 99 tall springs front and rear, before bags install. I found that if I removed all four rings of the jounce stops that there would be a larger-that-desired gap at the ends of the bag. I opted to remove three rings of the jounce stops and that has proven to work out well. My ride height in back is now 21-1/2" with 12# of air in the bags.

Worthy of note is the fact that only part of the weight is borne on the ends of the bags. The sides of the bags, when inflated, support the springs in between the coils. The load is nicely distributed throughout the exterior surface of the bags.
Good input. To that point, I heard back from Firestone:

The length isn't as important as the width. All of the applications we do have fitments for don’t fill the entire length and the gaps vary from vehicle to vehicle. The width is the thing you will want to be about the same. That is the important part with these bags.
++++++

Interesting. As I visualize the forces involved, it makes sense. My thinking, taking it to an extreme, having a bag 1" tall would provide little to no value though. So, height does matter, just maybe not so much once the bag involves a few wraps.

If the recommended bag for a stock 3rd gen is 7.5" tall, that, IMO, serves as a nice reference point for lifted rigs. I tend to believe the 9" bag will serve me well in that respect, again with the same diameter, which should be snug within the coil...

I heard back from Air Lift:

Hello Tony

Unfortunately we do not have a direct application for your vehicle due to the lift but you can check out our universal 1000 bags to see if you will work for you. Here is a link to our universal bag finder that will help you determine the best fit:

How To Build and Install an Air Lift 1000 Universal Kit | Air Lift Company - Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort

++++++

Hopefully that might help the OP and others...