View Single Post
Old 03-17-2020, 10:39 PM

dsanford will become famous soon enough

dsanford will become famous soon enough
Fluid change successful. This thread was great to reference.
Started by putting the front of the vehicle on ramps to hopefully get move fluid out of he front differential and transfer case, I don’t think it made a difference on the front differential but I like to tell myself it helped on the transfer case. Side not, surprisingly there wasn’t much rust underneath there. That was a relief after some of the vehicles I’ve had.

After draining the front differential and transfer case I jacked up the rear to make the vehicle level and drained the rear. All hardware came out smooth with no fuss.

Front differential fluid was DARK, like black dark and smelled BAD. Transfer case was pretty clear with some discoloration. Rear differential was dark with slight transparency. I honestly don’t know if these fluids were ever changed.

I used Mobil 1 full synthetic 75W-90 for all three. Man that pump got some use... the pump for the gear oil that is.

I also greased all the zerk fittings for the driveshaft, which also has never seen a service. The slide yokes on the driveshaft were rusted over and I bet I used 3/4 or more of a 14oz grease tube between the two. The U-Joints took the red grease easily put pushed some NASTY looking stuff out. So happy I got all this service done, it really eases my mind about buying a used vehicle of this age with this mileage.

Now that I have typed way to much about a simple fluid change, I just wanna say thank you to everyone on here, it really did help when doing this fluid change. I will answer any questions if anyone has some.
dsanford is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote