Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 05:50 PM

Bogrun will become famous soon enough

Bogrun will become famous soon enough
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagiMT View Post
Before posting my question I had already ordered the Gates 36174 pulley. I figured if it does not fit I could keep it to replace the #1 idler pulley down the road. Got the pulley in today and took of the tensioner pulley. Turns out everybody was right in some way. The outer diameter of both pulleys is exactly the same and so is the inner diameter of the bearing. The bearing of the 36174 pulley is a bit wider and the offset is different.

Seeing that I decided to try to clean and grease the old pulley. While I got the front dust cover off, the rear dust cover is inaccessible so there was not much I was able to clean. I pumped new grease in using a grease gun and a needle tip but the bearing was till noisy (I figured if there was even a little noise when I turn it by hand it will for sure be really loude when it spins at several 1000 RPM). So I only had two options, put the noisy pulley back on or try to see if the 36174 fits.

Turns out the review on Amazon was correct, the pulley fits but the belt will ride at the back edge instead of more to the center. (however, it can't really go anywhere as it is guided by the crankshaft and the water pump) The pulley sits on an arm that goes almost all the way through the bearing so the bolt goes in over 1", maybe 1.5". The difference in offset is only about 1/5" so there is plenty of thread. This might have been a change in the tensioner design from earlier V6 models. I might still try to get a bearing to replace the one in my old pulley and I will keep an eye on the belt to make sure there is no wobbling or rubbing but so far it looks good. The hardest part was tightening the bolt as there is no way to get a torque wrench in from the top and I was not going to drop my skids.
How's this been working out for you so far? No issues?
Bogrun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote