Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 11:40 AM

VernySanders will become famous soon enough VernySanders will become famous soon enough

VernySanders will become famous soon enough VernySanders will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satter View Post
Back in November I brought my 98 4Runner into Toyota of Bourne Texas to have several issues worked on. One was a front axel with busted seals. They told me they needed to replace the front axel. Ever since then my 4WD system has not functioned properly. Yesterday afternoon I took my truck out for a quick drive with the 4WD engaged to keep the system maintained as says in the owners manual. Yesterday I drove 16 miles with the four wheel drive engaged, driving 30 mph, up to 50 mph a few short times.

During the drive yesterday I could hear a high pitch wine. The faster I would go the higher the pitch of the sound. Toward the end of the drive smoke was coming out from underneath my truck. I immediately disengaged the four wheel drive. However the 4WD stayed engaged for 5 second. When it finally disengaged the truck jerked violently forward. As if someone hit me hard from behind. I then immediately smelled an odor of rotten eggs or sulfur. It was definitely a rotten burning smell. I pulled the truck over and raised the hood. Smoke was coming from underneath the engine.

Please share your thoughts on what the issue may be. Thanks.
my hope would be that you didn't fry your transfercase. When you smell a sulfur smell you're smelling the additives in the gear oil that is found inside your front and rear differential and your transfercase. Were you off road when you got your truck up to 50mph? Or at the very best driving in an exactly straight line? I would diagnose the issue off of the road on a dirt road. See if all your 4x4 works as it should still. If it is, maybe consider checking the levels of fluid in your transfercase and differentials.You could have possibly even had a leaky seal and little to no fluid in the tcase, so when you went up to 50mph the components inside started running dry, hence the smoke.

EDIT: What do you mean when you say your 4x4 isnt working properly? In the next sentence you said you went ahead and engaged it, what about the 4x4 system isnt working properly?
The dunes got boring because I couldn't jump. I'm not the type to enjoy someone else's vehicle. So i'm in the process of making making the dunes no longer boring. I guess that involves jumping.... A lot.
VernySanders is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote