View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 10:38 AM

alphabeast is on a distinguished road

alphabeast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremluck View Post
My steering fluid ran low the other day so I topped it off and came back a couple of days later to this:

Not exactly what you want to see when walking back to your rig. With 133,000 miles on my truck with a good portion of those off road it looks like my steering rack has finally given out. I know a few folks have had their racks replaced by dealers but I’m looking for anyone who has done it themselves. It seems like a pretty intense job with the service manual calling the removal of the engine to get the job done. However, I know FJ and Tacoma guys have been able to do it using alternate methods.

Right now this is what I have in terms of steps to actually accomplishing this:

Steps for Removing the Steering Rack
1. Unbolt tie rod ends
2. Remove inner tie rods
3. Unbolt and remove the intermediate steering shaft from the rack's spline (Making sure steering wheel is centered and tied down)
3. Unbolt front differential brackets
4. Remove oil filter
5. Loosen steering rack mounting bolts
6. Cut and remove steering rack mounting bolts from the top
7. Unplug hi pressure and low pressure steering pump lines
8. Drain fluid
9. Remove rack from the passenger side

Reverse steps above to install the new rack

For anyone who has done this have I captured everything? Is there an easier way? Once I gather info Ill be sure to document the process to make it easier for future owners. I have a feeling that anyone who wheels their rig will face this at some point.
Well I will comment on this. First off, thank you for documenting this process. As these trucks get older and with a lot of off road usage, I'm sure rack replacements will become more common. Second, im glad to see that the rack can be removed without removing the front diff. I had read that was possibly something that needs to come out before you can get the rack out. One question - why did you have to cut the mounting bolts? I'm guessing there is not enough room to remove them?
2014 TE w/ KDSS: ToyTec BOSS Suspension Kit / Toytec 1" Body Lift / JBA A-Arm's / Cooper Evolution MT 35" 12.5" / SCS Ray 10 17 X 9 / Budbuilt Bump Out Slider's / Gobi Stealth (No Rise) Rack / Hefty Fabworks Front Bumper / Ellis Precision Auto Shifter & Transfer Case Shifter/ Rigid D-Series LED Fogs / Precision LED Interior Lighting
alphabeast is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote