Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 12:19 PM
official vendor

SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold
official vendor

SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold SherpaEquipmentCo is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tanker View Post
Installed your Crestone rack on my 2019 last Saturday, placing the front mounts over the rubber channel guards. I had a hard time adjusting the front mounts to stretch them out and get them all tight - there's a little flex at the front end. I'm thinking part of the solution is to cut the rubber channel guards and put the front mounts directly on the body. Second observation is that the rubber guards lift rather easily off the roof - I fear that they will fly off or flap around at highway speed now that the factory rack mounts aren't holding them in place.

So a few questions:
- Any tips for getting things tight at the front?
- Should I use two-sided tape to hold the front mount down on the body?
- Should I use two-sided tape to secure the rubber channel guards in place? 30 pound tape is rather permanent, and Toyota may have left those rubber strips loose for a reason.
When we tighten the front mounts during installs, we usually use either two people, or use a rag or towel to lift the front of the rack from the front corner. It also helps to loosen the rear mounts so that once you tighten them back down with the front feet set it sucks them down a little more. You can stuff a folded up towel or microfiber under the rack to lift it up. Then while its held uptight the front foot while lightly pushing the lower section into the rubber trim. This method works great for us. You could also place it on the roof where you want it and mark the bolt head locations with a pencil and set the feet up off of the truck and simply bolt the front crossbar in with them at the right tension. That is what a few customers have told us they have done. The feet do not have to be crazy tight, but when set up properly it will take quite a lot of force to get the front of the rack to budge.

I would avoid any kind of double-sided tape. The rubber channel guards should not move. We have never had an issue with those.

Industry Leading Modular Storage Systems that allow you to Adventure with Confidence.
Our WebsiteOur InstagramOur Facebook
SherpaEquipmentCo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote