Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 10:29 PM

leftyguns21 will become famous soon enough

leftyguns21 will become famous soon enough
Cost of Ownership on Icon or BP-51

I have a GX460 which shares same part numbers as the 5th gen. Club Lexus isn't too active on the suspension info so I am posting here hoping for some advice. Believe me I have searched through many many threads before posting this, I didn't find any with the answers I am searching for.

I do most all on road commuting. I do go camping and other adventures throughout the summer months down service/fire roads and light off roading. Think high clearance areas but no rock climbing or big obstacles. I camp with a RTT and normal camping gear and 2-4 people in the car. I am looking for 2-2.5" of lift for the ground clearance and upgraded suspension for on and off road. A kit I can grow in to as I expand my exploring and not something I am going to grow out of a year or two later and end up replacing. I have a front runner roof rack that stays on year round. I have no plans to add any bumpers or additional weight besides possibly a swing out or rear tire carrier. I will be getting new wheels / tires once my current 255/70/18 KO2s wear out.

I have narrowed it down to the OME BP-51s or the Icon Stage 4 (to get the VS2.5 rears). I have called 3 local shops in Colorado and they all are around $850-1000 for the labor and alignment. One shop suggested Bilstein 6112/5160. This seems like I would be settling, while the ride quality is better than stock it is not going to be as good as the above. Plus no adjusting.

Icons have been my first choice since I started looking. Their maintenance is a worry. I have heard its as often as every 15k to rebuild them. One local shop seems like they can perform it in house so I don't have to send out, but at $150-200/shock the cost of ownership on them is huge. If I do have to get it sent out I am without a car while I wait.

OME seems to have a much better customer service history. 3yr warranty. remote res'. I have seen fewer "issues" threads on these but also don't have much details on how often they suggest to rebuild/service them. They are adjustable too for compression/rebound which I like for varying conditions.

if I am going to be spending $4000-5000 on a suspension I want to make the right decision for my needs and long term cost of owning them. if its going to cost $800/year to service them that might be too much
leftyguns21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote