View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 06:24 PM

APhelps has a spectacular aura about APhelps has a spectacular aura about

APhelps has a spectacular aura about APhelps has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by beklemmung View Post
Thanks for the offer, sometimes I wish I was up in central Alaska and not here in southern CA. The forum has been pretty unanimous that the shop's recommendation to consider replacing the entire rear end without presenting me with any evidence of why it's necessary makes no sense. It looks like a naked play to generate more work/$ which I guess shouldn't surprise me.

Yes, the extra $800 to replace the entire rear end was for labor and parts. I bought the seals, bearings, and brake shoes from McGeorge Toyota in Richmond VA. The shop is charging me $460 in labor to replace the bearings and seals on both sides, put on new brake shoes, and to flush/replace the brake fluid and diff oil. I got quotes from 5 different places and this was the best one for a place that did the press work in-house. The good reviews and the fact that it specializes in Japanese vehicles made it seem like a clear winner... hoping it proves to be a good choice despite the attempt to upsell me.
$800 dollars for parts and labor seem reasonable. I've done the job a few times since I ended up blowing my seals the first go around due to my differential breather being clogged.

I think the rear axle seals is one of the easier jobs to do on the 4runner but its kind of a pain since you have to deal with brake fluid and diff fluid.

Having the tool that Tim references in his videos or one like that tool is key to doing the job.
APhelps is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote