Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Direwolf82 will become famous soon enough

Direwolf82 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inv4drZm View Post
So upper and lower control arms? Are you keeping factory length?

Aftermarket UCAs are usually made from chromoly tubing. Or you can build a boxed set from sheet metal. I've priced out building a set before and they aren't much cheaper than off the shelf units. Check out PolyPerformance's website they have all the parts needed including tubing, uniball cups, and misalignment spacers.

For the LCA's, some of the aftermarket long travel ones are made from chromoly too. And you'll need a machined part for the ball joint to sit in.
I'm in the super initial stages of starting plans but yes, upper and lower. There is a custom shop from where I grew up that said he could build high strength cv's to length. I'm half considering building them a little longer and getting the longer cv's to push the tires out and make some more clearance while keeping scrub radius in check although the price and lack of being able to get them anywhere else is fairly prohibitive. So probably just make the top a little longer to work with the lift I want. Currently sitting on spacers up front and getting antsy about putting in the permanent suspension. Also means I need to decide what I'm doing for bumpers and steel protection to get the right springs the first time around but that's another deal.
I have 1.25 od .25 wall tubing kicking around from a different project that should suffice, plenty of material to play around with as long as I did my math correctly. And my friend has a rack full of tubing I can buy off him for cheap if need be. He's a semi retired race car fabricator that likes his 4x4's which is super convenient.
I'm assuming the ball joints are press fit, haven't actually looked that far into it yet as that detail isn't going to be a make or break type situation. I'll take the plates to my buddy's and run it through his cnc mill. He has all the sizes for that stuff programmed already from what he tells me. I'm also getting a bunch of bits and pieces from him super cheap so hopefully my total cost would be around 100 bucks. Mostly I think it could be a cool project and I seem to have a little extra time these days.
It's either this or start my bumper and since I'm in the middle of the bumper build for my other truck I'm a little bumpered out at the moment.
Direwolf82 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote