View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 04:27 AM

beklemmung is on a distinguished road

beklemmung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhelps View Post
$800 dollars for parts and labor seem reasonable. I've done the job a few times since I ended up blowing my seals the first go around due to my differential breather being clogged.

I think the rear axle seals is one of the easier jobs to do on the 4runner but its kind of a pain since you have to deal with brake fluid and diff fluid.

Having the tool that Tim references in his videos or one like that tool is key to doing the job.
That $800 for parts and labor was to replace what the shop alternated calling "the housing" and "the rear end" and "the assembly." I would have still had to pay another ~$450 in labor on top of that for them to put in my new bearings and seals and to install the new brake shoes and drums.

I got my truck back, the only thing I can say for sure right now is that the retainer isn't grinding against the axle housing. It drives fine and no new/strange noises. I didn't witness them doing a grease/sharpie test on either side, but I asked the owner/manager whether they checked and he said his tech checked both sides and that the seal is riding close to the middle of the retainer. I kind of wish I had demanded to watch them test at least one side, though they finished it very late in the day, about an hour after they technically closed.

My receipt states "Customer was offered option on replacing assembly and servicing new assembly to prevent leaks due to worn seating. Customer declined." I don't know why they used "assembly" instead of "axle housing", and based on what everyone here has said, "worn seating" sounds like nonsense.