Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Turbo Build
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 12:21 PM

Myrunr2010 is on a distinguished road

Myrunr2010 is on a distinguished road
I bought a bunch of exhaust components this week. It should be everything I need to get from the flange at the back of the cat, to where I will mount the turbo. My original plan was to put the turbo in roughly the same location as the current muffler is since there are already exhaust hangers there and a heat shield. I live around a few diesel trucks, and listening to their obnoxiously loud turbo whistle all the time annoys the hell out of me, so I really don’t want my rig to be stupid loud or annoying to drive down the road and have a conversation with someone. Anyways, apparently adding the muffler in will help with the turbo whistle some, and keep the exhaust a little quieter. So I might end up putting the turbo closer to the back of the cat so I can pipe in a muffler still. Need to get under the truck and take some good measurements and look around to see what I can figure out.

I am planning to use a turbo with the same specs as Clownmeat, t3/t4. I learned in my research that t3 is for the exhaust side of the housing, and t4 on the intake. Makes sense. I haven’t yet decided if I will buy a turbo that’s internally gated or if I’ll buy a separate waste gate, which I still need to do more research on. If I go with an external waste gate it’ll change my exhaust setup slightly/be more work, which has me leaning towards internally gated. Apparently the tuner crowd only goes with externally gated for some reason. Anyways, I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

Things I bought:
· 2.25” exhaust flange – 9.99
· 2.25” to 3” reducer – 10.79
· 4’ of 3” exhaust piping – 26.48
· Toyota O2 sensor flange – 12.59
· 3” V-band clamp and flanges – 20.88
· 90 degree t3 turbo flange – 40.27
· Total: 121 bucks

Hopefully at some point in the next month or so all this will come in and I’ll get an opportunity to assemble it. Covid-19 has shipping times all sorts of wonky.

97 4runner SR5 3.4 manual
Tundra/LC Lift with Bilstein 5100's on 285/70/17 BFG KO2
2" "Fat Pats" body lift; 1.25" All Pro wheel spacers
Turbo Build; Rear Bumper Build; Front Bumper Build

Last edited by Myrunr2010; 06-21-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Myrunr2010 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote