View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 11:50 PM

midcoma has a spectacular aura about midcoma has a spectacular aura about midcoma has a spectacular aura about

midcoma has a spectacular aura about midcoma has a spectacular aura about midcoma has a spectacular aura about
Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit

***ALL DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KITS ARE SOLD AND PRODUCTION IS ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE***
More details provided in post #380 for those interested.

Disc Brake Conversion Kit:

This is a bolt on kit to replace the rear drum brakes with disc brakes.

What's included:

- Conversion brackets & spacers (1 pair for 1 axle).
- All hardware to mount the bracket to the axle and the caliper to the bracket.

What's required:(details below)

- '94-'04 Mustang Cobra rear calipers & caliper mounting bracket.
- '94-'04 Mustang Cobra rear brake pads.
- 2003-present 4Runner rear rotors.

CAD Images:

The Brackets:

The brackets are laser cut from 3/8" A36 steel. The spacers are also laser cut from A36 steel to match the brackets. Both the brackets and spacers are Zinc Yellow-Chromate plated to prevent corrosion.

The brackets are designed to fit the factory 4Runner axle housing with ABS.

The spacers are required to get the proper offset for the caliper mounting bracket. They allow the rotor to fit properly in the caliper mounting bracket.

Parking Brake Kit:

I completely re-worked my junction bracket to increase the force applied to the caliper. Instead of using off the shelf parts that I used in the first version on my 4Runner, I designed new parts and had them fabricated to provide the best mechanical advantage in the space available. The junction bracket now incorporates a lever and pulley to increase the mechanical advantage over the 1:1 ratio of version 1. The 4Runner parking brake cable enters the junction bracket through the aluminum fitting in the front, loops around the pulley, and ends by securing to the zinc-yellow fitting.

The kit includes everything required to connect the parking brake in a way that I'm comfortable having my name associated with. Here's an example of what is included.

- (2) brake cables for the Mustang calipers.
- Factory clips to secure the cable on the caliper.
- Junction bracket for the cables.
- Fittings to adapt the factory cable to work with the junction bracket.
- All necessary hardware (all 18-8 stainless steel).
- Spare rivet nuts, just in case you need them. Or if you haven't used them before and need to experiment before installing on your 4Runner. The correct size drill bit for the rivet nuts is also included.

Brake Line Kit:

These brake lines replace all the brake lines on the rear axle. The copper-nickel lines replace the hard lines from the axle mounted "T" to the outside of the axle. They mount using the factory tabs. The stainless steel braided flex lines connect the copper-nickel hard lines to the caliper.

The year must be specified for the brake line kit due to the changes in the ABS system. There are two different sets of hard lines, one for '96-'00 and one for '01-'02.

Installation Instructions:
Click here.

weekendclimber's video install:

*****These brackets have not been tested/approved by the DOT and are recommended for off-road use only*****

Last edited by midcoma; 06-16-2023 at 02:16 PM.
midcoma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote