Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-30-2020, 03:37 AM

midcoma has a spectacular aura about midcoma has a spectacular aura about midcoma has a spectacular aura about

midcoma has a spectacular aura about midcoma has a spectacular aura about midcoma has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideexileex View Post
On a rig that still has ABS, the ABS computer will still receive the correct signals to detect wheel slip, but now ABS will be kicking in far, far more often for the rear brakes.

Further, the actual brake/ABS pulses will still be of the same strength (ABS system would assume drum brake power) and cause a longer duration of ABS activation. I still think a proportioning valve would benefit by reducing power sent to the now rear disk brakes.
ABS is a continuous feedback system. So if the pulse strength and/or duration causes lock-up, it will still receive that signal and adjust for it accordingly. Maybe I'm giving the system more credit than it deserves. It's good to hear in sleepydad's post that his ABS works properly.

I'm still not saying a proportioning valve wouldn't be beneficial, just not convinced it's necessary with ABS. If you remove the ABS, absolutely run a proportioning valve.

How would you adjust the valve with ABS? I would think the system would prevent you from being able to get the response required to adjust it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBobandy View Post
Would you recommend installing a residual valve as well to help with the issue of rotor runout pushing the piston back into the caliper and causing a soft pedal? and for anyone who has a residual valve, would you just attach it at the T fitting for the rear brake lines?
I haven't used a residual valve, but I think it would only help.

According to Wilwood, the residual valve should be installed as close to the master cylinder as possible. 2lb valves are standard for disc brake systems, but Wilwood also has a 4lb valve for "disc brake systems where extreme shock loads, hard vibration, and suspension component flex can contribute to excessive caliper piston retraction and pad knock back."

Info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydad View Post
Wondering if you can lock up the rears with the cable setup your running?
I've never tried. I only use the parking brake as a parking brake. I kind of doubt it though, the handle requires a decent effort to lift. At what speed were you applying the brake in your video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaRescue89 View Post
Would this bracket still leave room for the full float conversion kits?

Also how many runs of these do you plan to do?
I don't think this kit would work with a full float conversion, but I don't know for sure. It hasn't been tested with one.

Based on the interest so far, it looks like I'll be doing more runs than expected.
midcoma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote