Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 08:26 PM

Captsolo will become famous soon enough

Captsolo will become famous soon enough
After reading all your posts and the comments, I definitely would not put/buy a used junk yard engine with 130,000 miles for $7,000. Maybe $3,000 if there was someone that could guarantee the installation.

You can find a good 2008 for that kind of money, maybe a little more.

Sorry to hear yours had engine problems at under $90,000 miles.

I bought a 2005 SR5 V6 new off the T dealer lot, and it has 150,000 miles on it now, and the check engine lite has never come on in 15 years. I'm in the Bahamas. Longest trip probably 50 miles at under 50 mph.

Having said that, I bought a new 2015 Camry for my daughter - as I promised her one for graduation at Florida State. The Camry is in Denver now, and we went to visit her (she works for a big stock broker) several times out West. The 4 banger Camry still starts and runs like new. The perfect car for a girl. Up and down in the National Parks and that "Rock climbers park", and those mountain roads are the toughest anywhere. Saw a heard of Elk and one big male alone 15 yards off the highway. Stopped to gawk and watch him eat leaves off a tree, but was ready to run back to the car if he made a move towards us. Pretty Cool to see.
Of course I have paid for things I shouldn't have. Maybe an oil change. Snow tires. Still my only child. 3.3GPA at Florida State - she deserves it IMO.

I wonder if driving up and down in the "Rockies" had something to do with the destruction of your 4runner V6. Those mountains can take a toll on a car or truck IMO.

Many 4runners get to 500,000 miles on original tranny and engine.

My 4runner fails:
PS wheel bearing. Local shop with 6 lifts beat it out and replaced.
AC Compressor after 12 years.
4 starters (1 OEM, 1 rebuilt by dealer lasted one year; 2 AM from Amazon - including the one in there now that came with a lifetime warrantee / Quality Built.
brakes + caliper or two (front wheels only) AM. I'm cheap.
two lower control arms with 3 bushings + two sway bars ($25 for both)
paint on body like new. Color still great. one scratch I caused, but no rust.
Underbelly almost rust free.
Original radiator, WP, alternator
I replace batteries every 4 years - even if it starts the car. I purchased a tool Scotty Kilmer raged about on YouTube for $50 that checks the alternator and battery.

If you find a mechanic with 50 years experience like Scotty Kilmer, and get advice from the beginning on that engine purchase, you could do it.

I was a 4 time gold medalist in swimming from the state of New York. Uncle Sam gave me my break in life! Mrs. Linda Veri-Azzara posted on LinkedIn

Last edited by Captsolo; 05-04-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Captsolo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote