Site Navigation

Thread: Tires Cupping
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 09:20 PM

Bigfoot is on a distinguished road

Bigfoot is on a distinguished road
Tires Cupping

Hi all,

I took my 13 4Runner in for its 100k service recently and the tech noted that the tires were cupping. Some uneven tire wear was expected (the tires were near their end of life and I was bad about rotating for the last 10-15k miles), but cupping was a bit of a surprise.

My question is whether the cupping issue was likely just from my failure to rotate the tires?

I put a new set of AT3s on the truck for unrelated reasons (nail in unrepairable area + near end of treadlife) and I’d like to avoid a recurrence of the cupping problem. The truck tracks well so I wasn’t planning on getting an alignment done, but I’m reconsidering. Most of what I read about cupping points to alignment issues (and not failure to rotate) as the usual cause of cupping. Does that sound right?

Thanks!
Bigfoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote