Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 11:08 AM

comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold

comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold comtn4x4 is a splendid one to behold
I've only had the St Maxx's (285/75) on for about 6000 miles so far, so impressions are limited at this point. For perspective I've run the stock tires, Duratac's, KO2's and Ridge Grapplers in two sizes on my 4Runner.

So far the St Maxx's are preforming well for me. They are a heavy aggressive E rated hybrid terrain tire leaning towards a MT. If you're looking for a middle of the road AT there are other better choices.

They do take a bit of weight to balance but so far have stayed balanced and at first rotation no adjustment were needed to weighting. At 6000 miles they look new as far as wear goes with 17/32 of the initial 18.5/32 of tread depth left. That would seem to indicate a long wearing tire. Most reports I have read say these tires last quite long so we will see.

In the beginning I got a bit of the slight right pulling symptom that some have reported, however that went away at about 3000 miles. On a heavily grooved roads they will follow the grooves a bit but nothing crazy. On road performance is surprisingly smooth and not as stiff/rough at 38# tire pressure as I would have expected. Road noise so far is on par at 6,000 miles with all the other tires I've run which I would call quiet for an AT. (Except the Duratrac which turned into a howling banshee at 20,000 miles, it was already getting louder at 6,000.) MPG have been better than expected at 15.5/17.5. They are a bit taller and narrower than a typical 285/75 at 34.05" tall and 11.2" wide as measured on the truck. Weight was verified at 65#.

We don't get a ton of rain here in Denver but what wet conditions we have had this year there's been no loss of traction or hydroplaning.

Snow performance has been greatly improved over my previous tires other than the Duratrac which is fantastic in wet conditions. The tires are sure footed off the start and hold corners well. I rarely put the rig in 4 Hi till there is quite a bit of snow on the ground or it's icy underneath. In deep unplowed snow conditions in the mountains (I have a house above Montezuma) the have been great, clearing snow easily and keeping traction. In Denver's spring slop snow storms they cut through the snow/water/ice to get to the road and maintain traction unlike my previous tires that constantly slid on turns, acceleration and breaking.
Off road is the tires real shining point I think. I did 700 miles of dirt through New Mexico and Arizona recently and they were amazing. They aired down to 18# very well and provided great traction through sand and over the rocky terrain. I could easily have aired down further if needed. We don't get real mud conditions generally in the Southwest, however, the mud we did encounter the tires handled with no issues and no need to get a bunch of momentum going.

So obviously 6000 miles isn't much and I'll report back after another tire rotation.

I'd absolutely recommend these tires to anyone looking for a heavy duty tire that's designed more for the trail than the road and understands the trade off's. Cooper describes this tire as a "commercial traction tire" I thought that was hype honestly till I got them and have run them a bit now. They are definitely an aggressive heavy duty tire and behave like one
'13 TE w/ KDSS, 4:56 Gears, Dobinson's IMS C59-352/C59-701V, Sonoran Steel KDSS Trac Bar, Overland Custom Design Control Arms. Fuel Revolver 17x9 +1 mm 5" Backspace, Falken Wildpeak A/t3w 285/75r17, Hefty Fabworks Aluminum Front Bumper and Full Skids, C4 Fab Dual Swingout Rear Bumper, MetalTech OPOR Sliders, Northstar, Off-Grid Engineering, SPod, Blue Sea, Rigid, Baja Designs, KC HiLites, Stedi, Aplharex, National Luna, Drifta, Goose Gear, RAD Rubber Designs, Viair, Bandi Mount, URD, Gobi, ARB, Warn, Factor 55, Fourtreks, Axia Alloys, Desert Does It, Agency 6

Last edited by comtn4x4; 05-08-2020 at 11:12 AM.
comtn4x4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote