Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 02:41 PM

jmansfield is on a distinguished road

jmansfield is on a distinguished road
Suspension Trouble -- Body Roll, Clunk/Pop Sound

Got a '98 limited/4wd with 295k miles with a few suspension issues:
  1. Excessive body roll. At freeway speeds, if I slightly rock the steering wheel back and forth I can induce a dangerous resonance with the body roll. You can do this on any car to an extent, but this is bad, feels like you will lose control of the car. Uneven road can also induce the roll.
  2. Clunk/pop/knock sound coming from the front when going over speed bumps or other obstacles.
  3. General wandering feeling of the front wheels when driving over uneven terrain or obstacles.

What I've done/plan to do:
  • I have replaced sway bar end links and bushings. This helped the roll slightly but problem persists. Struts were also replaced about 40k miles ago, so I think they can be ruled out.
  • Next I plan on replacing lower and upper A-arm bushings and ball joints.

Questions:
  1. Am I correct in targeting a-arm bushings and ball joints and sway bar end links? Are these symptoms of something else?
  2. Are there other components I should replace while tackling the bushings and ball joints? Inner/outer tie rods, wheel bearings? cv axles? I've read the oem wheel bearings are pretty robust and a hassle to replace. Also seems a good time to do the brake upgrade. Any other suggestions while I have all these components off?
jmansfield is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote