Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 08:48 PM

Arv is on a distinguished road

Arv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4R2014 View Post
My opinion. I have these brakes. On two 4Runners. They can warp as bad as the stock brakes. I would make sure your rear brakes are properly adjusted before doing this mod. I can't even confirm that stopping distance is reduced with this mod. Stock brakes with good pads and rotors will feel amazing too.
I wanted to do the 231 but heard all about the ABS(more than 199), spongy pedal(hopefully its just bleeding and nothing to do w/the M.Cyl.), and spare won't fit in case of flat issues. I do have 17" wheels so the clearance is not an issue with the 231.

I'm going with Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pad so hopefully that will work better than OEM. I have this on my truck and they work well.

Thanks for the adj. the rear brake tip, yep read about that too. I did have them replaced a few years ago when my gear oil leaked so they shouldn't be frozen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrohlf View Post
I'm pretty happy with all the parts I used. You could try slotted rotors if you're concerned about cooling, but unless you tow heavy loads regularly I think that's overkill.

My advice from the install:
- definitely have a breaker bar handy for the caliper bolts, I didn't and it was a huge pain
- once I got it all done, bled my brakes, and bedded them in a bit, I was able to take it in to my local dealer and they did a brake check/inspection for free. I don't do any automotive work beyond minor repairs to my rig every so often, so it was nice peace of mind to get professional confirmation that I did a proper job of the brake bleed and install.
Got a breaker bar, it's been used a lot! Specially with the Tundra Bilstein/Tall springs upgrade.

Pass on the drill/slotted rotors, heard some issues with them too. I'll stick to OEM rotors.

Ordered the parts!
Thanks all!
Arv is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote