View Single Post
Old 05-18-2020, 12:05 PM

montanaJON is on a distinguished road

montanaJON is on a distinguished road
This thread makes me really happy. Glad to know there's others out there who like these like me. Here's my whole story, grab a cup of coffee I'm about to get long winded.

Back in 2013 when I was still in college I test drove a new Trail and knew that I had to have one. Fast forward to 2016 and I was finally in a spot to buy one, however I knew it had to be Pre-Facelift, Trail Edition, KDSS, Navigation, sunroof would be nice, and I wanted Salsa Red if I could help it. Then on top of that of course comes everything with buying a used car (location, condition millage, etc) I searched for almost a year and wasn't having any luck. The land rover I was driving was starting to show major issues and I wanted to get out of it before something big ($$$) went wrong. I found a magnetic grey in Idaho about 8.5 hours away from me and decided that I would finally do it. I talked to the dealer, told them i was coming. Friday I left work and drove about 6 hours, slept in the back of the land rover, woke up the next morning and showed up to the dealership right after it opened. When I arrived they told me they sold it the night before. "Are you F***ING KIDDING ME?!" They then tried to sell me a new one... I walked away.

Another few months go by. I had been relocated for work and sent to LA (not exactly where I wanted to be). An ad popped up in a web page since I had been searching for them so much. It was PERFECT! 2011 Salsa Red Trail Edition with only 28k miles. Here's the catch... It was at a Lexus dealership in Richmond Virginia! Work was nuts and there was no way I could go out and see it. At this point I live (and bank) in Montana, I'm on temporary assignment in Los Angeles, and this truck is on the other side of the country. Already long story short the dealership was great to work with, I put money down immediately to hold the truck. They sent me dozens of specifically requested photos of EVERYTHING, put it up on the lift full undercarriage shots, etc. The truck was then shipped to me across country and the rest is history.

I've now had Oliver (yes we name our rigs) for almost 4 years. My wife and I take him everywhere, and have done a bunch of amazing trips (I'm back in MT now). I don't see any reason we would ever get rid of him. Of course the building and projecting is never complete.

Attached is the first photo I took when he was delivered to the job site and a picture of how he sits now.
Attached Images
Early 5th gen Trail edition appreciation-oliver-before-jpg  Early 5th gen Trail edition appreciation-oliver-after-jpg 
montanaJON is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote