Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 06:40 PM

Runn4est is on a distinguished road

Runn4est is on a distinguished road
I mentioned this in FB but I'll mention it here to help the info get out. I had trouble replacing my rear lower control arm bolt with a longer bolt after welding on Eimkeith's LLS kit.

The bolt is a M14 bolt, and I bought a new M14 bolt. I went to slide it through the mount holes and the threads screwed through, like the OEM bolt, then the shank stopped dead in its tracks. After much brain racking, and measuring, I've determined that Toyota uses a Japanese Standard Metric which has a narrower shank than thread.

So on an M14 OEM bolt, the threads are 14mm and the shank is 13mm. On a normal metric bolt, the shank and thread is 14mm. The hole in my bushing was 14mm and for the normal 14mm shank fit just fine. What this tells me is that Toyota has designed these bushings with the "loose" tolerances. Why? I don't know...maybe less seizing?
'15 Mag Gray LE -- TOTALED | '14 TE wheels - dipped black, Falken AT3W 285/70/17 | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Daystar 2.5/1.5 top spacer lift | RCI Fuel Tank Skid (Steel) | Shrockworks Step Sliders (trimmed LE Rocker Trim) | SR5 front end conversion
'08 BP Urban Runner -- 5100 fronts at .85 with Toytec 620# springs | SPC Adjustable UCAs | Plastics Guy Front Bump Stops | ICON VS 2.0 Rear with Toytec Superflex 2 inch springs | RCI Transition, Front and Transmission Steel Skid | LT275/65/18 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W | 1.25 inch wheels spacers
www.4runnerfamily.com | IG: Runn4est
Runn4est is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote