Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 09:59 AM

Black798 is just really nice Black798 is just really nice Black798 is just really nice Black798 is just really nice

Black798 is just really nice Black798 is just really nice Black798 is just really nice Black798 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdnewyork View Post
I've not dealt with partsouq yet; but have used amayama from Japan several times with good results. Yesterday I ordered the following from amayama UAE:

2x: 89615-12090 OEM Denso knock sensors $98.75 ea
2x: 17177-62060 OEM lower manifold gaskets $22.49 ea
Shipping: $23.50

I'd ordered the wiring harness 82219-34010- $28.84 from Conicelli with a bunch of other stuff a week prior. No rush with delivery needed for me as I've chosen to replace these prophylactically as part of the VC gasket, timing belt and SC install work.

I am very interested in your plan for an addl. knock sensor as in input to your mapecu3 for tuning below 3k rpm. I also plan to purchase a map piggyback when I drop to a 2.2 pulley as a next step.

From what I've gathered lately, modern knock sensors (e.g. NTK) are designed to provide flat response from 5k-15kHz to meet many applications and rely upon the engine manufacturer to process the signal to meet the specific need.

I read some stuff on customtacos.com that the 5VZFE knock has a peak frequency of 6.6kHz, so you'd need to do bandpass filtering to create a useful input to the piggyback. Presumably, the OEM ECU has that functionality built in for its own needs.

I found this whitepaper by Texas Instruments very interesting:
How to set-up a knock-sensor signal-conditioning system

And this link for the evaluation board ($149), software and documentation:
Vibration and Engine Knock Sensor Interface

I'm also wondering whether it would be possible to tap onto, buffer, condition and utilize the signals from the existing sensors as inputs to the pigyback.

I'll keep poking around on this and please keep us updated on your findings.
Definitely will post the results in a few weeks once i get it up and running again. Pretty sure I know the thread you're talking about over on CT, read through that a few times when I was exploring the option of ditching the stock sensors all together.

Also heres the mapecu wiring diagram for the knock sensor setup, it already uses the gm knock sensor processor so that simplifies things. I wonder if you could run the stock sensors through that gm processor to the mapecu and just use them instead of that 3rd sensor. The one thing I am struggling to figure out is how to setup two sensors off that gm system. Not sure if I can just run them both off the same wire or if I am better off doing just one sensor in the middle of the cylinder valley. If I had to pick one side for mine to put the sensor I think the driver side would be best since thats the sensor that failed and leads me to believe the side that knocks the most. Very glad I choose the mapecu over the urd 7th or something, its really nice having a piggyback with this much capability
Attached Images
Knock Sensor Repairs - What did you do?-screenshot-47-jpg