Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 06:58 PM

Whakeen is on a distinguished road

Whakeen is on a distinguished road
@benjamin247

Given what was posted earlier about structural strength maybe I need to revisit my setup but I thought I would post some pics of what I did to mount my RTT.

I didn't want a basket style roof rack so I used square tubing for the small mounts on the roof rails as well as the cross bars. I wanted it as close to the roof top as possible to keep the center of gravity lower.

So far so good. I've been on bumpy forest service roads and highway speeds without any movement of the custom mounts, however, the front end of the RTT catches enough wind which flexes the actual 4Runner roof; this results in a bit of bounce from the front end of the RTT.

I'm in the process of extending the rails to install another mount further up front to spread the load.

To answer your question if you 'need' a roof rack, well, it depends on the mounting system of the RTT. My RTT mounting system requires enough clearance underneath it to get nuts on the bolts that hang down below the cross bars. If your RTT has a mounting system directly over the rails you may be able to skip a rack, basket or cross bars altogether.
Attached Images
Is a roof rack necessary for a rooftop tent?-4run-jpg  Is a roof rack necessary for a rooftop tent?-4run-b-jpg  Is a roof rack necessary for a rooftop tent?-4run-c-jpg 
Whakeen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote