Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 08:36 PM

thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold

thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold thennen is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
Always heard about the great Toyota reliability, so my first was a new 1992 pickup with the infamous 22RE engine. Oil changed religiously using Mobil 1 since new. Threw its timing chain at 49000 miles just out of warranty. Toyota was “kind” enough to pay for half the parts ;-(
A decade and a half later, I bought my brother’s 1997 4Runner with 100K miles on it. Drove it about 60K more miles and handed it down to my daughter and it now has ~200K on it. Other than the usual stuff (Battery’s, timing belt and water pump, brakes, etc.), it has required a radiator, starter (twice), blower motor, AC compressor, one fuel injector, various oil leaks fixed (and needs another one now), brake master cylinder, rear axle seal.
So I’d say it has done no better or worse many other makes/models of cars. However, it has never left either one of us stranded, and I loved driving that old 3rd gen more than any other car I’ve ever owned. Bought a Honda CRV after I handed down the 3rd gen, but had problems with that car that Honda wouldn’t/couldn’t fix, so traded it for a 5th gen 4Runner last year.
It’s been good so far, other than a whining rear differential that Toyota replaced under warranty THAT ALSO WHINES
Geez you’ve had a lot of trouble. I’ve put over 1.3 million miles on maybe 12 Toyotas with less than half the problems you’ve had. Timing chain? Starter? AC compressor? Axle seal? Never a problem with any of those.
thennen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote