Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-30-2020, 11:28 AM

Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice

Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice Team_Jake is just really nice
Love that you're tackling something with those miles. I did a 5-speed swap not that long ago so I'll chime in what you need / don't need, see my commects in red below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebb View Post
Pulling the manual from a 2000 4runner. Anything I'm missing in this list?

Transmission Remember to grab the bolts for the bellhousing, they're different lengths between the AT and MT
Transmission mount and spare crossmember The crossmember is not needed, only the mount
Transfer Case You don't need to change transfer cases if you don't want to, any V6 3rd gen transfer case bolts to any V6 3rd gen transmission
driveshafts
Clutch Don't bother, get a new one
Flywheel Important to grab this and get it machined, aftermarket ones aren't as good and OEM ones online are expensive
Clutch Cover I assume you mean pressure plate
Throwout bearing You could use the old one but I suggest getting a new one
Clutch pedal Remember to get the entire assembly including the bracket, spring, etc.
Clutch Master Cylinder Remember to grab the lid and float if available
Hydrualic line
Slave Cylinder
Tranny and transfer shift levers
Shift boot
Brake pedal assembly You don't need the entire assembly, just the pedal and rubber cover on the pedal
Engine wiring harness See my comments below
Dash wiring harness See my comments below
ECU See my comments below
gauge cluster Not needed
Center Console and Shift bezel

A couple more things you'll need:
The clutch start cancel button
The clutch release switch
The clutch depress switch
The backup lights switch
The leather cover for the shifters
Shift fork and boot
New pilot bearing

I'm thinking of just swapping the entire wiring harness from the donor truck, unless that's too much effort for what's needed? How much of it do I exactly need? From the headlights all the way to the tail lights? Or just everything under the dash and whatever is connected to that? Sorry, havent seen anything for a year 2000 into a 1998 in my searches. See my comments below

Also, any changes in the charcoal canister/evap system that is going to give me a headache within these years? Thanks in advance! You shouldn't have a problem

Hopefully, if all goes well this thread will help others shooting within these years. Thanks everyone!
It is important that you get the correct ECU because these 3rd gen 4runners have sub-generations (96-98, 99-00, 01-02) and the way the engines run between these sub generations are different, so that 2000 MT ECU will likely not work with your 98 engine, it's too different. Luckily the 1998 4Runner MT/AT ECUs can be swapped and are plug-and-play, meaning the connectors between the two are the same and don't require re-wiring. Look for part number 89661-3D360. Getting this ECU means you don't have to swap wiring harnesses and your engine will be happy. Just make alterations to your existing wiring harness, much easier.

Have fun with the swap!