Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Off Road Comms
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 11:41 AM

tx_shooter will become famous soon enough

tx_shooter will become famous soon enough
So how many people really need to have comm for 40 miles when wheeling with friends?

Last month I went wheeling with friends and we used a mix of GMRS truck mounted radios and FRS handheld radios with zero issues. I know all the HAM guys are pounding on their keyboards saying we only had 2-4 miles of coverage with the FRS radios - but that was more than enough for terrain and highway usage we did. We had comm link between the trucks around 8 miles from first to last on the highway and close to 5 miles inside the wheeling area.

Sure - HAM setups can talk to people 50 miles away if those people are listening. Personally I only care to talk to the people in my group. GMRS truck mounted Midland radios are doing a great job at that. Between a few truck radios and a handful of cheap FRS radios we are all 100% legal (the GMRS guys have their licenses) and the FRS radios go to people without. No FCC issues and we all have a great day.

But it is not tacticool like HAM. I can live with that.
tx_shooter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote